The return of Beastie Boy Mike D is along with the return of the Durutti Column a massive musical highlight of 2026, both completely unexpected until a couple of months ago and both very welcome indeed. Mike's album Thank You is out at the end of August. So far he's put out four of the songs onto the internet- What We Got, Switch Up, True Colours and now Crypto.
Crypto is a blast, distorto vocals, a ton of echo, fuzz guitar, primitive drum machine beats, space invader samples, rumbling bass- he's not playing it safe or pulling any punches, this is Mike and his sons' band The 5D doing exactly what they want to do. There was more good news recently with the announcement of a gig in Manchester in October.
There's never a bad time to revisit the Beastie Boys so here's your bonus track from 2004's To The 5 Boroughs, an album the three Beastie Boys made that was very much a response to 9/11 and a love letter their home city and call for unity and community.

As much as I love Mike D, his new stuff is not doing it for me at all. It sounded OK live but I just can't get into it otherwise, which is a shame.
ReplyDeleteI think the songs may make more sense as part of a whole album. I'm looking forward to the gig in October, should be fun. It's just good to hear a Beastie voice again doing stuff.
ReplyDeleteSwiss Adam
I think the songs may make more sense as part of a whole album. I'm looking forward to the gig in October, should be fun. It's just good to hear a Beastie voice again doing stuff.
ReplyDeleteSwiss Adam