Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Sunday 20 August 2017

A Floating Leaf Always Reaches The Sea


This came my way the other day, a massive, ominous, thundering piece of heavy duty ambient dub from 1992, Thrash and Greg Hunter reworking Killing Joke's Requiem. The single (12" and cd) came with some Spiral Tribe remixes of Killing Joke's Change, which are very much in the 1992 repetitive beats techno vein (and nothing wrong with that you may very well say). But this is the keeper- Requiem (A Floating Leaf Always Reaches The Sea Dub). The bassline alone is worth the entrance fee.



I always feel like I should know Killing Joke better than I do. I should find the time to do something about that.

7 comments:

drew said...

I could never get into Killing Joke SA, a bit too gothy for me and Gaz Coleman annoyed me for some reason. They're first album is quite punky but you can see where they are heading,

Jake Sniper said...

Same here, one of those bands that I could never get into. They do connect with a lot of the music I like.

TheRobster said...

By contrast I love Killing Joke. I got into them rather late. I knew some of their 'hits', but a good mate of mine got me into the 'Pandemonium' album and it blew me away. Followed them ever since.

Echorich said...

Killing Joke is one of those foundation bands of Post Punk for me. They were immediate, urgent and so very dismissive of the world we live in - all very important me in my late teens.
There is something to be said about the journey Youth (Martin Glover) took after leaving Killing Joke - some further exploration of Post Punk with his band Brilliant and then a journey down the road of dance pop as the band disintegrated and was reborn with June Montana and Jimmy Cauty. Youth would then dive deep into the far left of House Music with his WAU! Mr. Modo label where Thrash cut his teeth remixing, so there's a real "ley line" from Killing Joke to Ambient House that likely amuses Jaz Coleman and Youth equally.

The Swede said...

Bought and loved their debut on release, then something must've happened as I own absolutely nothing else by them at all. That first album still sounds mighty powerful though. This remix is rather good too.

Swiss Adam said...

Its the journey Echorih describes that makes me think I might be missing something. I think I have one album on cd. Will check.

General Ludd said...

'The Death and Resurrection Show'
http://killingjokemovie.com/
A good place to start...