Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Saturday 25 August 2018

Theme For Great Cities


I have long held a dislike of Simple Minds, since the 1980s now I come to think of it. I think this is based on the bombastic, U2-lite material they released, the wind in the hair videos and the awful baggy grey suits they all seemed to wear.  I still think these are good reasons to dislike Simple  Minds by the way, I'm not going completely soft in middle age.

People have often, especially in recent years, tried to convince me that there is merit in their works and I can see that there is a charm to some of their mid-80s pop material. Don't You Forget About Me is one of the components that makes The Breakfast Club an enjoyable film. However it would be stupid of me, really stupid and churlish, to deny that this song from 1980 is a bold and innovative piece of electronic pop music.

Theme For Great Cities

8 comments:

Brian said...

From here, I implore you to try songs like Love Song, Sweat in Bullet and the American. If you don't like these, I will agree you don't like Simple Minds. Great pick today, my friend.

Dubrobots said...

The Fila Brazillia remix is great too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTpb_kkprzA

Anonymous said...

You are going soft SA. You can call me churlish and really stupid, all you like.

The Swede said...

My feelings on post-'New Gold Dream' era Simple Minds very much echo yours SA, but a couple of years ago (based on reading a blog post somewhere) I revisited 'Real to Real Cacophony' and 'Empires and Dance' and was knocked sideways at how much I enjoyed them.

TheRobster said...

Empires and Dance is a masterpiece, so ahead of its time it was doomed to failure. If it came out today, it would be regarded as one of the albums of the decade in an instant.

Adam Turner said...

Thanks for all your recommendations. I'll give them all my full consideration. Funny how this post has been my most popular one for ages.

acidted said...

This is a brilliant record. They were great until New Gold Dream

Anonymous said...

This was great played back to back with Corporation of One’s - The Real Life.
Tom