I go back to work today, two weeks earlier than I've been used to now I'm working in a 6th form college. Returning to work in mid- August feels a bit odd- the rhythm of my year usually sees me return in early September, but change is good, change is what I moved jobs for so I'm just going to have to get used to it. It'll soon be the bank holiday weekend and then September and then the weeks when the leaves start to turn from green to orange, gold, yellow and then brown. It's already darker earlier, noticeably so this week.
The big wheel keeps on turning.
Blue Lines is a fantastic album, one of those which crossed borders, knocked doors down and united different tribes. The flow of the album, from Safe From Harm to Hymn Of The Big Wheel via those chilled rap songs, the glorious majesty of Unfinished Sympathy and lush, organic proto- trip hop is perfect. Every beat, every note, every word, weighed and exactly correct. When side two plays out with Hymn Of The Big Wheel it feels like you've done the full trip, gone all the way round. It creates a stew from Bristol, late 80s/ early 90s club culture, rap and reggae, dub, breakbeats, sampling, graffiti, rare groove, weed, 90 bpm tempos, found sounds, Horace Andy, Nellee Hooper, Neneh Cherry, sound system and DJ culture and American hip hop styles into one hypnotic and seductive package.
Hymn Of The Big Wheel is a Neneh Cherry co- write and she sings the female harmony (uncredited on the sleeve). Daddy G has said that Neneh gave the members of Massive Attack a kick up the arse and a place to record (her baby's bedroom), booting them out of their natural laziness. Good job she did eh?

2 comments:
It’s just so cool and glorious.
Oh God yes I'd forgotten about the going back early, hope it hasn't been too bad.
Yep Blue Lines is amazing. Haven't heard it in quite a long time because I prefer Protection but I'll be digging it out again on the strength of this.
Post a Comment