Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 28 May 2010

Mogwai 'The Sun Smells Too Loud'


One of the best tracks I've heard over the last couple of years is this, The Sun Smells Too Loud, off Mogwai's Hawk Is Howling lp from 2008. I bought Young Team when it came out way back in 1997 featuring the mighty Mogwai Fear Satan, and kind of stayed in touch with them over the years, but wouldn't pretend to be an all out fan. At some point last year house favourite and sponsor Mr Andrew Weatherall finished one of his 6 Mix shows with this song, and it took the top of my head off. Beautifully controlled guitar playing, huge tom tom drums, rising and falling melodies, intense, exciting, sad yet euphoric blah blah blah. Describing music is really hard sometimes. A seriously great record, and proof that you don't need vocals or lyrics to make emotional connections in music. Top song name too.

05 The Sun Smells Too Loud.wma

3 comments:

drew said...

An awesome track.

I bought the single New Paths to Helicon all those years ago and like you have sort of followed them buying the first couple of albums then missed a few. Bought the Peel sessions when it came out which got me right back into then and then heard this track which is nearly as good as NPTH.

hsd said...

Thanks for this. Bloody brilliant. love it! I was always jealous of Mogwai when Chomsky was going, because the reviews could easily have applied to us, so I made a point of not listening to them so that we couldn't be accused of copying them. The first real time I heard them was in that Zidane film and I was blown away when a sound engineer played them before one of our gigs, I shall certainly be checking out more of their stuff. singing's boring anyway

Swiss Adam said...

Yeah, sod singing.