Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Sunday 22 August 2010

Release The Bats


Your honour, I'm not and never have been a goth, but like most 80s subcultures there was something going on that is worthy of credit. Exhibit A, the 12" version of Bela Lugosi's Dead by Bauhaus. Please note the scratchy post-punk guitars and bass and drum work reminiscent of The Bunnymen, and the ludicrous but praiseworthy vocal by Mr Murphy. I believe he is the one with the cheekbones. This may be gothic m'lud but it is also art. Fields Of The Nephilim? The Mission? No Your Honour, but Bauhaus, certainly. The defence rests.

Bela Lugosi s Dead.mp3

1 comment:

drew said...

As I've said before could never abide goths, all that "woes me" shit, sitting on dancefloors and snakebite and black, what the fuck was that all about. But like yourself love this tune, my 12" vinyl is absolutely shagged.