Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Monday 21 February 2011

Wah Wah


This is one of those records that often seems to populate the 7" box in charity shops, all dog eared sleeves and scratched disc. I've written before of my buying multiple copies of records in Oxfam and suchlike over the years, just because I can't leave them in the shop, decaying and unloved, surely eventually ending up as landfill. However I could not house the numbers of copies of this single I've seen. Why is it so often abandoned?

Our local Oxfam occasionally turns up trumps- one time it was full of the entire Siouxsie And The Banshees back catalogue and most of Wah!s output. I was trying to work out what sort of person would have such musical taste, to collect the full works of both the ice queen of goth and Liverpool's 'part time rock star, full time legend'. But then again maybe it was two different people, coincidentally getting rid of vinyl at the same time. Or even better, maybe it was a couple, each one dumping it's youthful record collection to make space in a new place they've just got together, one a Banshees fan, the other a Wylie lover - that's an idea I like. But I'm sure I would've spotted a Siouxsie lookalike and a Wylie wannabee wandering around Sale by now.

Enough blathering. From 1984, The Mighty Wah!'s mighty Come Back. It's not as good maybe as The Story Of The Blues or Sinful, but it's still worth a few minutes of your time.

Come Back.mp3

3 comments:

drew said...

I think that it is on a par with SOTB, especially the 12" (Story of The Reds/The Devil In Miss Jones, wonderful

Dirk said...

... and it surely is way (!) better than 'Sinful'!

stevoid said...

Bizarre...I was listening to 'A word to the wise guy' for the first time in years only last night!

I've known many gobby scousers over the years but none of them will ever match the mouth on Wylie,God bless him.