Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Wednesday 21 March 2012

In Between


I was never that into The Cure. I mean, I liked some of the singles- Boys Don't Cry say, The Lovecats, Just Like Heaven- it'd be stupid not to. But I didn't buy them. It was their fans I think and those silly shapeless, holey jumpers and messed up hair. Irritated me. And they did spend some time ripping off New Order's sound. Pop-goths. Pah. Hence, I stood against The Cure, despite having the Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me lp on tape and playing it secretly. There's no denying some of their songs though two decades later, like this one.

In Between Days

8 comments:

drew said...

Never a big fan myself. Goths irritated me. Have to admit liked this, Close To You and Pictures of Me though

davyh said...

This? Absobloominlutely - many's the student bop had to it. Also 'A Forest' their Peel Sessions, 'Disintegration' - I like the doomy stuff much more than the happy-poppy stuff, in fact.

Artog said...

I thought everybody loved the Cure during their teenage years? I certainly did. I only listen to Seventeen Seconds now though. And I miss scruffy looking students, they all look so fucking presentable these days.

Swiss Adam said...

Somehow there was a Cure v Smiths/New Order divide in the 6th form. And I know which side of that I was on. Speaking as a teenager who tried to dress like either Bernard Sumner or Johnny Marr the Robert Smith look didn't do it for me.

Swiss Adam said...

And you're right about A Forest Davy, especially the 12" version.

Dirk said...

... nothing beats the the 12" version of 'Primary' though, friends ...

davyh said...

Yes, the extended 'A Forest' is my default one, it's magnificent. The Peel Session version at 5'45 is also cracking.

Maybe students 'all look so fucking presentable these days' because only the rich can afford to go to university now, Tog : (

Artog said...

Good point Davy.