Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 19 September 2013

Clay


Goldfrapp's new album, Tales Of Us, is a bit of a grower. It is largely folk crossed with baroque with Alison's breathy vocals, ten songs all named after people. At times I'm finding it a bit one paced but the sumptuousness of the songs carries it through. Most of them leave you feeling a little sadder than when you started. This one is the album's closer and is as good as any of the rest. It starts off low key with picked guitar and voice and then builds, adding some strings and a little drama before coming to sudden stop.

Clay

6 comments:

davyh said...

It's my album of the season, I love it.

davyh said...

PS: Interesting piece about 'Clay' here

Echorich said...

Love Love Love this album. My song du jour from the project is Stranger...It takes me places...I want to meet that stranger...

Simon said...

I've said it elsewhere, but Goldfrapp's Black Cherry album was the soundtrack to my wife and me getting together and pretty much our first six months together. We met on October 1st ten years together. And like the opening track on the new album her name is Jo.

Meanwhile when I'm out in my best frock and heels I'm Simone, track 7!

Quite nice having our first decade together bookended by Goldfrapp albums

Simon said...

there is a together up there which should have read 'ago'.

Still together is a pretty good substitution.

davyh said...

My favourites are Drew, Simone and, like Echorich, Stranger.