Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Monday 9 November 2015

Let Freedom Ring


To start the week, at what can be a bit of a miserable time of year, we need something soothing and uplifting. Moodswings were a late 80s duo made up of Grant Showbiz (formerly roadie and guitar tech for The Smiths and Billy Bragg) and James Hood (drummer for the Pretenders and Kid Creole and The Coconuts). Inspired by club culture, sampling and all the rest they made a very of its time album most of which still sound spretty good today although the drums have dated. It's a datedness I like admittedly. The 1991 single Spiritual High married that Soul II Soul drumbeat, Jon and Vangelis, Martin Luther King and Donna Summer with Chrissie Hynde on vocals.



This dubbed out nine minute version is a delight and a pick-me-up.

Spiritual High (Moodfood Megamix)


7 comments:

Webbie - FootieAndMusic said...

I used to play this repeatedly. Still one of my all time favourites.

Brian said...

That's a stunner, Adam. Nice way to start the week.

Echorich said...

Great track - a Nineties staple! SA, you left out Grant Showbiz involvement producing The Fall in the early years as well!. It's the first thing I think of when I hear his name.

Bovril said...

I never knew it was Chrissie hinde on vocals

Walter said...

As said by the other - a long forgotten classic. Love this song since decades. Thank you Adam

drew said...

Have always loved this. Need to dig out the Live at Leeds album and give it an airing

Swiss Adam said...

Echorich- you're right and thanks for correcting me re: Grant Showbiz and the Fall.
Bovril: it never really sounded like her to me.