Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Saturday 4 November 2017

Pulsar


The return of Ride and their position close to my stereo is something I definitely wasn't expecting this year. I wasn't too bothered about them back in the early 90s, a couple of songs aside, and their Britpop incarnation was of no interest to me at all. But the 2017 Ride and their Weather Diaries album (a couple of songs too long maybe but a good record and Cali is one of my favourite songs this year) and now a new single- all of these things are pleasing me. This new song, Pulsar, has a lovely throbbing distorted bassline, highlighted by a drop out twice, and some beautifully FX laden guitars. Erol Alkan's production gives everything a hard shine. Good stuff.

6 comments:

TheRobster said...

I heard this last night and was surprised how poppy and melodic it is. Unsure whether I like it a lot or just a little...

Swiss Adam said...

I like it a lot right now.

Echorich said...

It is blowing my mind - just how good this return to the studio has been for Ride. Working with Erol Alkan seems to have brought the best out in the band.
I've been stuck on Weather Diaries track Rocket Silver Symphony for weeks...it gets a repeat whenever I am driving with the album on and Pulsar seems to take off where RSS leaves off. It has some OX4 DNA as well and that is NOTHING but a good thing!

Anonymous said...

The first 4 or 5 EPs, and the debut album, were great. Lost interest after that. Weather Diaries was a (surprising) return to form, and this track is really good.

Will be interesting to see where they go after this.

Michael Doherty said...

Wonderful album. Have you heard the wonderful Home Is A Feeling (A Creamy Crambled Suite For A Ride) remake by Babe, Terror? Nearly 26 mins of ambient greatness. Typically only available on a Japanese limited edition.

Anonymous said...

Nope. Not heard that. Interested though.
Swiss Adam