Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 23 February 2018

I Am Sitting In the Morning


There are songs from the late 80s and early 90s which I didn't buy at the time, songs I have never owned until getting mp3s of them in recent years, but which I know inside out. This is because-
a) you can't buy everything
b) limited budget
and c) record buying priorities.

It's probably also the case that there was some stuff I dismissed a bit at the time but which really sank in to my musical memories and in retrospect (or actually at the time) liked.

Tom's Diner, the 1990 DNA remix of Suzanne Vega's 1981 written but 1987 released song, is one of those songs. Everything is utterly familiar and known inside out, from the da-da-da-duh intro to the chugging Soul II Soul beat, every line of the lyrics, the grinding bassline and then the cathedral bells as the whole thing seems to slow down.

Tom's Diner (DNA Remix)

DNA remixed it without permission and distributed limited quantities on white label. The record label, A&M, heard about it, liked it and rather than sue DNA, sought Suzanne's approval and bought it to release officially. Which was wise as it was a massive hit in the UK (number 2) and USA (number 5). In one of those typical chart battle stories it was kept off the UK number 1 spot by Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.


6 comments:

Brian said...

Always been a fan of both versions, but I think DNA is the one that really nailed it. I went to Tom's Diner in 1996 just so I could say I did it. Meh. 2nd Avenue Deli... now that's the real deal.

Swiss Adam said...

It's better known for being in Seinfeld isn't it?

Brian said...

You are correct, sir.

Swiss Adam said...

*slap bass run down*

Echorich said...

Ukranian Diner, Veselka is where you would likely find Suzanne Vega, not those two NYC tourist traps. I'm sure my musical brother from another mother JTFL will agree, if it was a late night out in NYC then the ethnic diners of the Lower East Side is where everyone would go.

JC said...

what a brilliant conversation that was up above...should be continued in an NYC diner methinks.