Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 21 November 2019

A Change Of Atmosphere


In 1990 the members of Big Audio Dynamite that weren't Mick Jones left the group. Mick ventured on with a new group of recruits, renamed as Big Audio Dynamite II, all Stussy bucket hats and combat trousers. Mick's song Rush stands out from that time, along with The Globe, evidence his songwriting skills were as sharp as ever and that he was still on top of things in the studio and in production. BAD II records are peppered with samples, new technology, house beats with guitars and some general Second/Third Summer Of Love vibes.

Rush

Mick played it a bit fast and loose with the release of Rush. It had already appeared on the Kool Aid album in a earlier form called Change Of Atmosphere. In 1991 The Clash were back in the press, charts and public consciousness with the use of Should I Stay Or Should I Go in the long running Levi's adverts. The song was re-released and went to number 1, a feat which Mick was chuffed about, the song playing in every cinema in the country and it was an achievement The Clash never managed during the group's lifespan. Mick insisted that the B-side to the single was Rush and then managed to get it listed as an AA side rather than a B-side (in an interview at the time Mick, a tad disingenuously claimed new bands always needed exposure and he saw BAD II was a new band). Apparently this didn't go down too well with Joe and Paul. Rush is a super smart song though, whatever the back story. Mick's voice crashes in, all reedy West London. 'If I had my time again' he sings, in the wake of the break up of another band, 'I would do it all the same'. The song then finds space for some crunchy Jones guitar chords, keyboard and organ samples from songs by The Who and Deep Purple, a stolen drum break and some distinctive vocal samples by Big Hank from the Sugarhill Gang and  Peter Sellers. In verse two Mick continues to regret rien...

'Now I'm fully grown
And I know where it's at
Somehow I stayed thin
While the other guys got fat
All the chances that are blown
And the times that I've been down
I didn't get to high
Kept my feet on the ground'


There's then a long sample driven, breakdown section before a little mea culpa in the third verse 

'And of all my friends
You've been the best to me
Soon will be the day
When I repay you hands and knees
Broken hearts are hard to mend
I know I've had my share
But life just carries on
Even when I'm not there'


Fast on its feet, full of life and with an exciting, catchy chorus, Rush is a giddy blast.

As well as the Should I Stay Or Should I Go single Rush was released as a single in its own right in the UK and in America, eight versions and mixes, partly aimed at radio stations in the U.S and MTV- which clearly worked, Rush was at number one on the Billboard Modern Rock chart for four weeks. The UK White Label mix turned up officially on an Australian BAD compilation, a mix very much aimed at British clubland.

Rush (New York 12" Mix)

Rush (UK White Label)

2 comments:

keepingitpeel said...

There was a pub we regularly frequented back in the day. Had a jukebox with some half decent tunes, including this single. Every time we were in there this song would be played. Every time. And for a long time we thought that the record was warped when Mick was doing that "Rush for the change of atmosphere" bit.

Swiss Adam said...

I think I must have had the same reaction when I first heard it too. Could be a good series- songs that sound like the record was warped.