Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 17 February 2022

Straight To Your Heart

It is two years ago today that Andrew Weatherall died aged just 57 and it seems right that this blog pays tribute to him on the occasion- his work and music has contributed to 602 posts here, well over 10% of my postings. At The Flightpath Estate (a Facebook group that I'm co- admin of) there is a semi- regular feature called Sunday Social, a Sunday evening comment thread with a theme where anyone can chip in. A few weeks ago there was an event at the (real) Social in London with David Holmes DJing, a launch party for the pair of Heavenly compilations of Andrew's remixes of the labels acts. Many of the Flightpath's membership attended and on the Sunday night the Social was a thread where we suggested and posted links to songs and tracks that might make the ideal accompaniment for a hangover/ sore head/ comedown. The mix below is a group effort, the suggestions on the thread from the Sunday night. I've stitched them all together into one mix, an hour and a quarter of songs and tracks produced, written or remixed by Andrew plus one from Radioactive Man, Andrew's collaborator in Two Lone Swordsmen, Keith Tenniswood, in solo mode. It's slow and low, a downtempo mix, ambient in places, dubby in others and song based in yet more, laid out maybe rather than laid back. I hesitate to say it's Weatherall in chill out mode but it's definitely one for contemplation and reflection.  And I hope in some way it pays tribute to a man who is very much still missed. Stream at Mixcloud or download below. 

The Flightpath Estate Sunday Social Mix February 2022

  • Andrew Weatherall and Keith Tenniswood: The Crescents
  • Two Lone Swordsmen: Tiny Reminder No. 3 (Calexico Remix)
  • Calexico: III (Two Lone Swordsmen remix)
  • Percy X v Blood Sugar: -3 (Emissions 2)
  • Beth Orton: It’s This I Find I Am
  • Two Lone Swordsmen: It’s Not The Worst I’ve Ever Looked… (Lali Puna Remix)
  • Sabres Of Paradise: Siege Refrain
  • Radioactive Man: Goodnight Morton
  • Woodleigh Research Facility: Somnium
  • The Liminanas Ft. Peter Hook: Garden Of Love (Lundi Mouille Mix)
  • Peace Together: Be Still (Sabres Of Paradise Remix)
  • Two Lone Swordsmen: The Big Clapper (CPIJ Remix)
  • Two Lone Swordsmen: As Worldly Pleasures Wave Goodbye
  • Primal Scream: Carry Me Home
  • One Dove: Why Don’t You Take Me


4 comments:

Jase said...

Great stuff, thanks for this. I've been meaning to point you in this direction https://mrbthegentlemanrhymer.bandzoogle.com/mr-b-s-art-shop#! for a great print of Mr Weatherall that my good friend Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer produced a while back. There's one hanging proudly on my wall at home.

blureu said...

Thanks for putting this together. Perfect to listen on a gloomy, cloudy day in my city today.

hterepka said...

Just set up the big speakers in the living room, will be playing this for my toddler over some trains and wooden blocks this weekend. Thanks Adam

Khayem said...

I first listened to this last night, but I couldn't upload comments via my phone at the time, darn it! Suffice to say, I'd been looking forward to it all day.

It's a beautifully sequenced mix, Adam. I completely agree with your assertion that this is not chill out music. The brilliance of Weatherall’s work is that it both demands and rewards your attention. I definitely can’t switch off or have it as a “background soundtrack”, as the music is threaded with little hooks that are far too intriguing and distracting when I should be doing something else. A fantastic tribute, well done all.