Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 26 January 2023

Back In The Underworld

Back to Underworld after last week's run of posts. I can't get enough at the moment, their music soundtracking my daily commute. In 1992 this pair of Underworld/ Darren Emerson remixes were released, long progressive house thumpers, some trademark Underworld sounds and styles pulsing through the grooves. 

108 Grand were Ben Chapman and Dee Vaz. Darren remixed Te Quiro twice, this one being the longer of the pair coming in at a shade under ten minutes, powerful, driving proto- trance that builds and builds, a proper dancing track with a funked up bassline and full on piano/ synth repeating topline.

Te Quiero (Darren Emerson Underworld Remix)

Eagle's Prey were John Kennedy, Lee Grainge and Paul Coleman. Darren's remix of Tonto's Drum is in a similar vein, chunky drums, a sampled squeak at the top end, moody synth bass and a male voice intoning, give it to them... give it to them', the sort of combination of sounds that in a dark room filled with dry ice caused shivers down spines. Karl Hyde's clipped guitar chords and the female vocal add to the tension. The track (as above) builds and builds, breaking down partly at four minutes forty with the drums then crashing back in. The piano house breakdown at six fifty gives a pause for breath, an arms in the air moment and then Darren starts to bring it back, everything more intense and on it goes, nine minutes, ten minutes, eleven... 

Tonto's Drum (Darren Emerson Remix)

3 comments:

Tom W said...

I am happy Underworld Week is back, not heard this one before. And subsequent to my previous comment the Bill Drummond book with the Waterman bit is The 17, not the far superior 45. Damn him for naming two books after positive integers.

Anonymous said...

Do you fancy doing a Nearly Perfect Album thing on any of the Underworld albums? I mean it will be one of the first four I suspect....but I'd be honoured to publish it...swc.

Swiss Adam said...

Yes SWC, I'll definitely do that. Will be dubnobass I reckon unless I can convince my self that it is not nearly perfect but absolutely perfect