Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 23 February 2023

Anenome Dreams

Brian Jonestown Massacre played a gig in Manchester last week, part of a UK tour that seems to have gone down very well. It's the umpteenth time I've missed Anton Newcombe, either with BJM or L'épée in recent years. I don't have a huge amount of the BJM back catalogue but what I do have is very good. This song in particular, and I think this is a fairly widely held opinion, is an absolute beauty...

Anenome

Shimmering, tripped out, wiggy, late 60s style psyche rock of the highest order, an acoustic guitar, a  tambourine for rhythm, a lead guitar playing a weaving, winding acid topline and lyrics, sung in a wonderful drawl about a departure, a kiss off- 'You should be picking me up/ Instead you're dragging me down... Glad that you're not around/ Glad that you're not around'. Anenome was on Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request, a Rolling Stones baiting album recorded in 1995 and released in 1996. 

Anton formed L'épée with Lionel and Marie Limiñana and singer/ actor Emnanuelle Seigner (who sticks in my memory from the 1988 film Frantic which she starred in with Harrison Ford). An album, Diabolique, came out in 2019, ten songs reimagining The Velvet Underground if they'd been from Paris rather than New York. 

Dreams

2 comments:

C said...

Loving both of these, thanks SA. That's a great '60s garage/Pebbles-y guitar sound in Dreams, plus I'm a sucker for a French vocal, right up my street (rue?)

Swiss Adam said...

Allee?