Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 17 October 2024

Big Dreams

I wasn't aware I needed the sound of an Australian pub rock/ punk band but when I clicked play on Big Dreams by Amyl And The Sniffers last week I realised that it was exactly what I needed.

This is a slow burning, ragged, three minute, modern punk torch song, a psyche guitar riff, single notes picked out with a touch of distortion, Amy's twenty cigarettes a day voice, and drums crashing in at one minute forty. 'Never been a dull one/ Always been a big star', she sings/ rasps, a tale of small town frustration, trouble making ends meet, dreams of escape and wish fulfillment- 'Just take a breath and get out of here'. The sort of punk rock ballad that's relatable at both seventeen and fifty seven. 

The video is obviously cool as fuck. Motorbikes, the desert, a certain disdain for the camera from Amy when she turns to look at it. I'd always been aware of Amyl And The Sniffers, kept seeing their name and photos and links to songs, but never really clicked through or investigated further. It turns out I'm a fan. Their new album, Cartoon Darkness (their third), is out at the end of next week. 


4 comments:

Walter said...

This track is pretty good and I ought to dive deeper in her music

Charity Chic said...

Like you I knew the name but not the music.
I enjoyed that.

C said...

This really is quite subtle for them, isn't it?! I have a lot of time for Amyl & the Sniffers.

Rol said...

Yeah, I think that's the best thing I've heard from them.