Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Tuesday 15 October 2019

Shaley Brow


Back in April I discovered one of the best albums of 2018, Mark Peter's instrumental tribute to north west England, an eight song record called Innerland, a journey through the landscape and place names of this part of the world. I've been coming back to it regularly ever since. It fits in really well with Richard Norris' pair of Abstractions albums, sundry Durutti Column records, Pye Corner Audio's last couple, the new one from GLOK and The Orb's early 90s ambient dub masterpieces. Mark has just released Innerland in a new form, stripping the drums and percussion off and leaving just the guitar parts, the synths and the keyboards. It's gorgeous, magical, transporting, very autumnal and somewhat haunting too. I wish I'd been on to it when it was released in a very limited 250 run on vinyl.

2 comments:

The Swede said...

This sent me down a wormhole of checking out the various permutations of 'Innerland' available over at Bandcamp. The ambient treatment is far and away my favourite - stark, desolate and quite lovely. My one gripe is that the tunes are just too short. How about an album of extended ambient versions next Mark?

Swiss Adam said...

Yep, I think you're right about the ambient version being the best Swede.