Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Tuesday 19 May 2020

50


I am fifty today. When we were young, people who were fifty seemed to have reached an old age but I don't know if I now feel as old as they seemed then. It's just a number I suppose, and I've been to quite a few 50ths in the last year and none of those people seem old, but reaching the half a century mark makes it sound quite old. Lots of aspects of the world of 1970 do seem like a very long time ago. I haven't really been much bothered about this as the months and weeks have shortened and there have been lots of other things that have been more pressing and more important but I did wake up yesterday morning thinking, 'fuck, this is the last day of my forties. Fuck'. Any way it's here, I am fifty.

Factory Records numerical cataloguing system is a good place to stop in today as any. FAC 49 was a single by Swamp Children, produced by Simon Topping. It's successor, FACT 50, came out in November 1981, New Order's first album- Movement. The sleeve is a beautiful Peter Saville design with the sideways F at the top (F for Factory) and a sideways L at the bottom (L being the Roman numeral for 50). The design was borrowed from an Italian Futurist poster by Fortunato Depero. In the US it was released in a brown and ivory sleeve.


The cassette cover, the most throwaway of format artefacts, was beautiful too. I always liked how Factory placed the barcode down the spine on their tapes. Post- modern, probably.


The album isn't much rated by the band and they admit to being confused musically, off balance due to the loss of Ian's presence, voice, lyrics and ear for spotting riffs. The position of being singer had been resolved to some extent although Hooky sings lead vocals on two songs. Gillian had joined enabling Bernard to sing and play guitar, something he couldn't do simultaneously at gigs, and she'd add depth on guitar or keyboards. They also found themselves at odds with Martin Hannett, who was deeply affected by Ian's suicide and deeply into a mess of drink and drugs. They produced themselves after Movement. There are some really good sounding guitars, bass, keys and drums on Movement but the songs on the whole don't stick long in the memory after playing them. There are hints at their future sound and brief flashes or moments but nothing that really matches the songs released as singles and B-sides before it, Ceremony, Procession, Mesh, Cries And Whispers and Everything's Gone Green. Except the opener, the only genuine moment of greatness on FACT 50, three minutes of post- Joy Division perfection. Bernard and Hooky's echo- laden guitars wrap themselves around each other, up and down and in and around for the intro. Stephen comes in drums adding momentum before they all lock in and take off at 53 seconds and then it really is post- Joy Division New Order in full flight. Hooky's vocals suit the song too, indebted to Ian but looking for a way out.

Dreams Never End

24 comments:

Jake Sniper said...

Happy Birthday Swiss, hope it's as fun as it can be. Yes, 50 seemed a lot older back then. I wonder if Mum & Dad felt the same when they reached their 50s.

George said...

Welcome to Late-Middle-Age, Adam.

niv said...

Happy Birthday to one fine blogger!

The Swede said...

A fine choice of tuneage. Many happy returns of the day SA.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Adam! So, how do fancy 60 then, that's me next month! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sySXyLHEM1o

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday fella, birthdays are great, have lots more!

Martin said...

Many happy returns of the day. 50 is the new 30, isn't it? That's what I'll be telling myself in a few months anyway...

drew said...

Lang may yir lum reek SA

FurryBootsCityBoy said...

All the best on your birthday. Have a great day from a soon to be 70 young man

C said...

Happy birthday SA. The 50+ club is not such a bad place to be!

Webbie - FootieAndMusic said...

Happy bday to to davyh's Auntie Flo !


Oh and you as well.

keepingitpeel said...

Another member of the 50 club here, as you said it's just a number.


Go and celebrate by playing some mixes by a recently departed DJ, name escapes me right now...

Luca said...

Buon compleanno!

Nick L said...

Happy birthday Adam...I'm 53 this year and I can tell you it gets easier. Thanks for such interesting and essential blog posts. Checking in here has been one of the day's pleasures recently.

Walter said...

Happy birthday Adam and stay well. 50 is just a step into another decade and what should I say when I turn into 61 next Friday?

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday... I hope it was brilliant
Swc

Swiss Adam said...

Thank you, all of you. Had a really good day. In some ways a much better day in lockdown than it might have been under normal circumstances. Cheers!

Tom W said...

Happy 50th fella, I identified crosswalks to say this

Brian said...

Well, you have been 50 for about a day now, and you didn't turn into a pumpkin. You'll be just fine, pal. Take it from me. I have six months on you. I love the tie in with New Order. No, the album is not quite up to par, but the art is fantastic and Dreams Never End is perfect.

Echorich said...

Happy Birthday SA! I hope you had a great day!!

And don't bother yourself about age or the meaning of being 50. People think we are or should be reflective at such an age. I'm not so sure. Of course I look back on events and the choices I made, but I did that at 25 as well, it's how we are made. It's more important to be in the present and prepared for the unknowns and knowns of our future.

Movement really does work on a few different levels with regard to a 50th birthday. And I give the album a lot more import than many. I have always found Doubts Even Here to be so affecting, an impactful track.

londonlee said...

Happy birthday kid!

Adam Turner said...

Yes, Doubts Even Here is good. ICB and The Him both worth mentioning too

Rol said...

Belated birthday greetings. I'm two years behind you and I hope I take it as well as you have.

Jez said...

Very belated birthday wishes, along with an open arms welcome to the 50s club.

I always knew all the cool kids were born in that 1969/70 academic year, and now I have the proof!

Hope you had as great a day as current circumstances allow.

Cheers, Jez