Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Monday 4 May 2020

Monday's Long Song


I posted this photo on Twitter last week, the contents of a box I found in the loft. These cassettes have survived numerous house moves and various culls. I was happy to find them, the Proustian rush was enjoyable. Many of them date from the late 80s when it was in lots of ways a different world and I was a different person. Someone called Jon Fugler saw the photo and commented 'good haul, the ladybird is my favourite...' to which I replied 'Fluke', a useful piece of information I thought as the band's name isn't on the front of the cassette. It was then pointed out to me by @AcidGrandads that Jon Fugler was the singer in Fluke. Sometimes you just have to give a virtual shrug, smile and face palm.

Fluke were ace, an acid house/ electronic band who crossed all the genres from techno to house to ambient, guitars, synths, samples, drum machines and vocals. Their song Pan Am Into Philly is one of the great lost ones of the era and the version on Creation's Keeping The Faith, Philly (Jamourphous Mix), is superb and a real personal favourite from that time. The album with the ladybird on it is from 1991,a live album from a time when people doubted whether this type of band could really perform live- the band doubted it as well as the computers weren't always reliable enough to survive a gig. Nevertheless the album, Out (In Essence) is a great snapshot of the group.

Garden Of Blighty (Out/In Essence)

What makes my inability to recognise Jon Fugler even worse is that in my final year at university I knew Hugh Bryder (who was Fluke's tour DJ and friend of a friend, and Hugh was supposed to be DJing at my wedding in 1995 but was stuck on a train).

6 comments:

Nick L said...

Nice track. Oh do finish that story Adam...who filled in as your wedding DJ in the end and how did it go?? A similar thing happened at my 18th in 1985. The DJ didn't turn up, so a mate went home and got his stereo and singles collection. Cue all my circle of friends favourite songs, all night. We had a blast.

Swiss Adam said...

There isn't much more of the story to tell Nick. We had the gear set up and had brought some records with us. The best man played some records, I played a few (but was eventually told I couldn't DJ at my own wedding reception when I should be dancing). We filled in and it all was good. Hugh eventually made it and played the last hour but my memories of the end of the evening are a little hazy. Mind you, it was 25 years ago.

Brian said...

This photo warms the cockles. I found a box of cassettes like that about five years ago. There were some keepers, but your lot is more interesting.

Tom W said...

I remember that Select Secret Tracks one very fondly, but what's the one with the toothbrush? Seems familiar but I can't read it or place it.

Swiss Adam said...

That's the Ultra Vivid Scene album, on 4AD.

Tom W said...

Ah. Guilt must have clouded my memory, because now I recall I borrowed that from someone and never gave it back...