Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 19 November 2021

Damn I Wish I Wasn't Such A Wimp

I've posted this song before, once in 2010 and once again in 2016, so I thought I might as well go for a five to six year cycle and repost it. The Pharcyde formed in South Central Los Angeles in 1989 and in 1992 released their first album. Passin' Me By was a single, built around samples from Jimi Hendrix (Are You Experienced?), Weather Report (125th Street Congress) and Quincy Jones (Summer In The City). In contrast to what some other rappers were rhyming about in the early 90s, the four MCs- Imani, Slimkid 3, Booty Borwn and Fatlip- poked fun at themselves, self deprecating lines about being in love with girls at school who are out of your league, the one who 'keeps on passin' me by'. The casual flow and laugh out loud humour, coupled with the laid back beats and samples and that pumping bass sample, are a total joy. 

Passin' Me By

Fun fact: on the two previous occasions I've posted this song no one has commented. I will keep posting it until someone does. 

4 comments:

Walter said...

You can post this fantastic piece of music every year and it would be a pleasure to get reminded on it, Adam. Courageous by them to take these samples and create this relaxed stuff. And a great video by the way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-mAK3uB2_0

Swiss Adam said...

The video is fantastic isn't it

Walter said...

It is

Jake Sniper said...

A classic, my eldest daughter (15) had friends round and they were listening to The Pharcyde. "Someone's got taste" was my Dad comment on my way past to mutter at recycling bins.