Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Monday 12 July 2010

The Selecter 'On My Radio'


I think I've mentioned this before round here- some records are inexplicably good, but when you break them down in words it really doesn't do them justice. I could describe this infectious piece of ska-pop and try to explain what makes it great, but it won't be adequate and will fail to get the joy of the song across. The Selecter's On My Radio is just stupidly good. What's really stunning is that in 1979 this single sold a quarter of a million copies in one format, enough sales that today it would be number one from now until Christmas. Equally, in this song Pauline Black complains about the way all the radio stations sounded the same. If that was the state of radio in 1979 it must be moreso now. So here's to the news last week that Radio 6 has been saved. Hallelujah.

On my radio.mp3

3 comments:

davyh said...

That's a bit of coincidence is that SA, because only last week it popped up on my iPo and I thought to myself 'Blimey, that's actually even better than I remembered it!'.

Swiss Adam said...

Don't you just love these little blog coincidences?

davyh said...

Yeah baby.