Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Tuesday 10 August 2021

Yo, We've Landed

We were in Liverpool for a couple of days at the end of last week, a city I know well having been a student there between 1988 and 1991 and being a fairly regular visitor ever since. We spent some time wandering round, looking at streets and places almost unchanged in the last three decades and other parts of the city pretty much unrecognisable. Liverpool has an edge to it, a stubbornness, and I like the fact that no matter how much gentrification takes place and how much money gets thrown at various parts of the city centre, it refuses to play ball completely. 

On Rodney Street there is a graveyard next to St. Andrew's Church containing this pyramid tomb, supposedly the last resting place of William MacKenzie who died in 1851. McKenzie was a gambler and according to legend he left instructions that he be buried sitting at a card table, a winning hand clutched in his deceased paw. Further stories say that his body was interred, an attempt to cheat the devil out of attaining his soul that he forfeited in a game of cards. Naturally, or rather supernaturally, the rumours persisted that his ghost haunts the graveyard and wanders round Rodney Street late at night. More info here

Yo, We've Landed, a collaboration between The Secret Soul Society and Hardway Bros has been released digitally with a Hardway Bros redux remix, a chugging, dubby, disco- tinged adventure, layers of noise like strata in rock formations- its all quite psychedelic and (in a good way) messy, head spinning sounds with a foot on the floor. Buy here




5 comments:

Rol said...

That's a brilliant tomb. I want a pyramid tomb now, and to be buried surrounded by all my CDs.

Secret Soul Society said...

That was a nice surprise thanks Adam!

Cal (Secret Soul Society)

Swiss Adam said...

My pleasure Cal. Thanks for dropping in.

Rol- think I'd need a bigger pyramid if I were to be entombed with my vinyl. There's a Peel Half Man Half Biscuit session where as the last song finishes he says 'Half Man Half Biscuit, when I die I want them buried with me'.

Rol said...

I'm presuming Nigel found a way to avoid that happening.

Swiss Adam said...

If he didn't, we'd have heard about it I'm sure. Although he has been tending the wrong grave for 23 years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP2TxPY3TX4