Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Tuesday 21 December 2021

Drums And Bumpers

While everything has been going on for us for the last three weeks the real world has been continuing to spin on its axis. The death of Michael Nesmith was a sad loss. If you grew up in the 1970s you couldn't escape The Monkees TV show (and why would you want to?). Mike was a talented songwriter and before he even appeared in The Monkees had written his classic song Different Drum, although he wouldn't record it as a solo artist until 1972. Linda Ronstadt and The Stone Poneys had a big hit with it in 1967 but I think the first version I heard was a cover by The Lemonheads in 1990. Evan Dando drawling 'You and I/ Travel to the beat of a different drum' over some crunchy early 90s indie- rock makes a good claim to be the definitive version of the song. 

Different Drum

The Monkees 1968 film and soundtrack Head are legendary, a trippy, satirical attempt to throw off their pop image. As We Go Along is one of the soundtrack's highlights and although it's sung by Micky Dolenz rather than Mike Nesmith I thought it was worth posting here today regardless. There's a bit of an all star cast playing on this one- Neil Young, Carole King and Ry Cooder. 

As We Go Along

Also gone is Robbie Shakespeare, a man whose basslines run through my record collection like the writing through a stick of rock. As half of the Sly and Robbie rhythm section he's appeared on more great records than most. Take Grace Jones in 1980 as as good an example as any. 

Pull Up To The Bumper

4 comments:

C said...

"...a man whose basslines run through my record collection like the writing through a stick of rock." What a brilliant description.
I'm with you on the Lemonheads version of 'Different Drum', it was the first version I knowingly heard too.
Great to see a reference to 'Head' too (I think 'Porpoise Song' is a psych classic).
Your continued blogging is much appreciated and admired, we are all with you.

Zak said...

Completely agree.I love Grace Jones early 80s albums so much.The "She's lost control" dub version is amazing.
They played on her last album "Hurricane" which was great.The documentary film that came out a couple of years ago is worth checking out and some nice footage of them together in the studio.

The Swede said...

I've been out of the loop for quite a while Adam, but I'd just like to echo the final sentence of C's comment.

Sending you and your family my love and best wishes.

Rol said...

The Lemonheads version of Different Drum was the first I heard, and has always been my favourite too.