Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 4 January 2024

Amnesia

Yet another track from 2023 that I didn't pay enough attention to at the time and have been playing a lot in the last week is Amnesia by Radio Slave and Cagedbaby. It's as un- January as you can get, a glorious tribute to the Balearic Europop of mid/ late- 80s Ibiza, named after the famous nightclub. 

Built around uplifting synths and pads, a Soul II Soul drum shuffle the Public Enemy/ Madonna 'Justify My Love drum break, widescreen atmospherics and a hushed vocal singing, 'surrounded by love', it's an extended 80s 12" mix that recalls that holiday you never went on/ never wanted to come home from. It's been raining all week, it's 4th January- take me to an airport. 

7 comments:

thewalker said...

I've been lovin' this one too, lovely sunkissed breaks, RadioSlave manages an impressive balance of retro that does not sound dated.

jesseblack said...

Despite the fact that it should probably be for me - I like both Thomas and Radio Slave's other stuff, I like breakbeats and have been known to indulge in Ibiza-themed music - I really don't like this track at all. It's just way, way too obvious for me. The words are a roll call of Ibiza cliches and surely using the bloody Funky Drummer break should be forbidden by now. The whole thing feels a little bit like it's insulting your intelligence, IMO. Really a cringe moment for me first time I heard it and continues to be! Hopefully none of them read this as I do really rate both producers.

Unknown said...

That's not funky drummer - it's Pussyfooter by Jackie Robinson, as used in PE - Security of The First World and famously by Madonna in Justify My Love. I personally think it's a pretty clever usage because it in perfectly invokes the nostalgic feeling they are alluding to here.

jesseblack said...

Well I'll be, I thought that PE sample was the funky drummer slowed down. Anyway, it's over-familiar, as are the sentiments and the vibe. I understand they are trying to evoke nostalgia, but I just found it a bit ham-fisted. No surprises, no cleverness to make you appreciate the elements anew.

Anonymous said...

Good to have an opinion splitter. Dunno why I said in the post its the Soul II Soul drumbeat when it's clearly the Justify My Love beat.
Swiss Adam

Unknown said...

Over-familiarity is a relative concept, but as you say, horses for courses. If you're writing a paean to an Ibiza night club who's high-water mark was 1987, I'd say that the classic Ibiza sonic tropes are fair game!

jesseblack said...

A more than reasonable take! And having done the same thing a few years ago, including the use of some obvious references, I have exactly zero legs to stand on.