Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Monday 1 January 2024

Fourteen

New Year's Day is also Bagging Area's blogging birthday, this blog born kicking and squealing into the internet fourteen years ago today, 1st January 2010. I had no idea when I started that I'd still be doing this in 2024 but it's proved to be a habit that sticks. There was an interesting article about blogging by Simon Reynolds at The Guardian a week ago which struck many chords. Here are a handful of fourteens to mark the occasion.

Fourteen Again was one of the standouts from Rheinzand's debut, self titled album from 2020, an album packed full with chuggy, spangly, trippy, disco/ Balearic/ house delights. There's a wobbly synth sound and long keening drone that sit on top of the wiggly arpeggios and four four beat that send it into cosmic disco, a long build up before singer Charlotte begins the chant, 'I wish I was fourteen again...', everything becoming quite heady and intense. 

Fourteen Again

After the album there was a hefty remix package with Fourteen Again being retuned by fellow Belgians Borokov Borokov, a very wigged out take on the original. 

Fourteen Again (Borokov Borokov Remix)

Factory Records is a recurring part of Bagging Area posts. Fac 14 was the debut Durutti Column album, The Return Of The Durutti Column, one of my favourite albums. If you ever see a copy with the sandpaper sleeve at a reasonable price, let me know (ditto one of the cassette copies in the big boxes that factory used to do). Sketch For Winter seemed appropriate, Vini and Martin Hannett at Cargo in Rochdale and Strawberry in Stockport creating magic. 

Sketch For Winter

16 comments:

Khayem said...

Happy blog birthday, Adam, I remain in awe. Great selections today, I'd not heard the remix of Rheinzand before.

Jake Sniper said...

Happy Birthday 🎂 Bagging Area, thank you for bringing a lot of wonderful music into my life.

Ernie Goggins said...

Many happy returns and well done on avoiding any teenage surliness so far. Mine turns 15 later this month and I find myself increasingly tempted to tell anyone who comments that they don't understand and it is not fair.

Martin said...

Many happy returns, and here's to many more years of Bagging Area!

Charity Chic said...

Happy New Year Adam and Happy 14th Blog Birthday!

David said...

Happy blog birthday, Adam. That original is some track. Looking forward to checking out that remix

Webbie - FootieAndMusic said...

Happy Blogday, Swiss.

Anonymous said...

MHROTD!

JM

Rol said...

Happy blogversary, Adam. I read that Simon Reynolds article with a wry nod too... although I also thought, "he's only writing this to get more people reading his blog".

C said...

A very happy 14th blog birthday - fab achievement and here's to many more.

Anonymous said...

An inspiration to us all. Here's to many more. Swc.

Nick L said...

Happy 14th! Long may it reign Adam. Always eclectic, always thoughtful, always inspiring. Thanks.

Swiss Adam said...

Thanks everyone.

And Rol, yes, that crossed my mind too.

Anonymous said...

To misquote, not quite '15 years in an open blog'. Your hauntology is real. Keep on.
-SRC

thewalker said...

Happy Blogaversary BA.

JC said...

It's only taken me 26 days to finally get round to reading what everyone has been saying since 2024 got underway.

A very belated Happy 14th birthday, mate.

As for that Simon Reynolds article, not only did I read it, but I left behind a comment which included a shameless plug for The Vinyl Villain. Had to be done.......