Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Sunday 31 March 2024

Forty Minutes of Belfast

This occurred to me as an idea a few weeks ago. I've been playing Orbital and Mike Garry's Tonight In Belfast a lot, it's become one of those songs for me. The idea of segueing different versions of Belfast together popped into my mind driving home from work. I did wonder if it might be too much, an overload of Belfast but there are some things you can't have too much of. I toyed with some kind of Easter mix for today, and almost went with all the versions of A Man Called Adam's fabulous Easter Song but on Friday (Good Friday) this mix came back to me and I thought I'd resurrect it for today. Roll that stone away and immerse yourself in Belfast. Happy Easter. 

Forty Minutes Of Belfast

  • Belfast
  • Belfast/Wasted
  • Tonight In Belfast
  • Nothing Compares 2 Belfast
Orbital released Belfast in January 1991, one of three tracks on their III EP along with Satan and LC1. Belfast was discovered by David Holmes and Ian McCready after they booked the Hartnoll brothers to play their Space Base night in May 1990. Orbital left a tape with the track on, later on named after the city they had a great visit to and night out in. The vocal sample, also widely heard in The Beloved's Sun Rising single that year, is of soprano Emily Van Evera, singing O Euchari. The chiming synths, bubbling bass and operatic vocal combine to produce something genuinely moving, ecstatic and otherworldly- one of British house/ dance music's great moments.  

Belfast/ Wasted features the voice of Gavin Fulton, available on the CD/ booklet series Volume (Volume 3, 1992). It then came out as a single in 1995 and then on the Wasted best of compilation. Gavin's vocal takes the track into a new area. 

Tonight In Belfast has the voice of Mancunian poet Mike Garry, speaking the words to his poem Tonight. It's one of the best and most affecting single tracks I've heard this year, Mike's words perfectly accompanied by David Holmes' magnificent and euphoric remix of Belfast from Orbital's 30 project, their thirtieth anniversary box set. Mike's words and Orbital's music came together on the suggestion of DJ Helen. Mike's words come over like a eulogy, a hymn to a lost love- sometimes I find it difficult to hear it without thinking of Isaac. 

'Tonight
I just wanna paint pictures of you
Write poems and songs just about you
I wanna hold you up so high you're gonna need a spacesuit
I love to speak your name aloud

Simply because I love its sound
And it feels like I'm kinda calling you
It feels like I'm kina talking to you
It feels like I'm trying to break through
You know across this divide

I'll tell you what
Let's slip beyond the confines of this world
Let's forget every single thing we've learned
Let's rewrite the way this world does turn'

Nothing Compares 2 Belfast is from David Holmes' NTS show that he did in tribute and in memory of Sinead O'Connor following her death last year, Belfast with Nothing Compares 2U, with Sinead's voice at the end speaking directly and openly in the way she did. 

5 comments:

Khayem said...

It had to happen. Great job, Adam.

Ernie Goggins said...

Slightly disappointed to find that this wasn't a megamix of 'Belfast' by Boney M. Now there was a tune: https://youtu.be/LQivCtW0Juo?si=O-jm_5Wa8H9EJA85

Anonymous said...

Don't think I'm familiar with that one Ernie.
Swiss Adam

Anonymous said...

How good is Tonight In Belfast....swc.

thewalker said...

Wonderful.

Thanks Adam.