Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 5 October 2017

You're The Match Of Jericho

In the nearly eight years I've been doing this blog the only Cocteau Twins song I've featured has been Frosty The fucking Snowman so it's well past time to rectify that. Their 1989 album Heaven Or Las Vegas found them approaching accessibility and looking for the fabled crossover. Iceblink Luck is full of wobbly, woozy sounds but is also technicolour, centre stage, looking for attention, and in tune with the times it has a rhythm that you could almost dance to/shamble about to.


For all her new audibility I'm still none the wiser as to what Liz is singing about but it doesn't really matter.

'You're the match of Jericho
That will burn this whole madhouse down
And I'll throw open like a walnut safe
You will seem more like being that same bot-tle of exquisite stuff
Yes, you are the match of Jericho 
That will burn 
This whole madhouse down and I'll throw 
Open like the wall, not safe


You, yourself, and your father don't know
So part in your own ways
You're really both bone setters
Thank you for mending me babies'


7 comments:

The Swede said...

My second favourite Cocteau Twins tune, after 'Carolyn's Fingers'. I love the way the guitar bursts in at the start - irresistible.

Charity Chic said...

A band that I have never featured yet
You have planted a seed Adam

Anonymous said...

A technicolor explosion. The lyrics are impenetrable, but as you say that doesn't really matter. Liz just seems on another plane. My son's favorite song for a week, when he was three. Great Stuff.
Darren

drew said...

This came on the iPod the other night funnily enough.

Sarah said...

I've been covering this with the band, I bloody love singing it. And in rehearsal a while back I had an aha moment where the lyrics made absolute sense to me... ��

Swiss Adam said...

That sounds good Sarah.

JC said...

I have danced to this!!! It's been aired a couple of times at the Xmas Little League bash, but not this time round....