Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Tuesday 20 November 2018

Hurts So Good


This 1975 single by Susan Cadogan is one of those songs that immediately enriches my life when I hear it, coming from that sweet spot in the mid 70s where roots reggae and lover's rock hit the UK charts regularly. Hurt So Good reached the number 4 and sent Susan to Top Of The Pops. Perfection in the form of a 7" single (or 2.86 megabytes of an mp3).

Hurt So Good

The song was originally a single Katie Love and The Four Shades Of Black on Muscle Shoals but wasn't a hit. It was then recorded by Millie Jackson in 1973 and attached to the blaxploitation film Cleopatra Jones. Here's Millie performing it on Soul Train.



Cleopatra Jones was Tamara Dobson,  '6 feet 2" of dynamite and the hottest super agent ever!'



I found this too, an unofficial  2013 remix by Ennio Maccaroni. Not one for the purists maybe but I really like it, the skittering rhythms bringing it back to the floor four decades on.




4 comments:

Charity Chic said...

Tune!

C said...

One of those songs I just really love (not so keen on the remix but worth a listen). Fab poster. I need to see that film!

Michael Doherty said...

Yes, this and Ken Boothe's version of Everything I Own, as you beautifully put it "immediately enriches my life when I hear" them.

Swiss Adam said...

Yes, the Ken Boothe song hits the spot.