Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 23 November 2018

Wine


The series that I am not calling Foodstuff Friday moves on to wine. With two reggae posts earlier this week it makes sense to start with Tony Tribe in 1969

Red Red Wine

Red Red Wine was written by Neil Diamond in 1967. After he left Bang Records they released a version with a choir added without Neil's permission, so the song was something of a sore point with him and the single version has never subsequently been released on a Neil Diamond album. Tony Tribe recorded his two years later. Both were then trumped in the chart stakes in 1983 by UB40 who had a massive hit with their cover. Tony's version is the one for me.

Lee Hazlewood was a wine drinker. Summer Wine, a duet with Nancy Sinatra, is off his Nancy And Lee album (a record everybody should own).



Lee knew his way around a tune . His Cowboy In Sweden album also gave us this one...

Me And The Wine And The City Lights

In 1987 My Bloody Valentine put out the single Strawberry Wine, still edging their way towards the sound that made Isn't Anything and Loveless two of the definitive records of the late 80s and early 90s. Strawberry Wine is trebly, bright and poppy, a mid 60s Byrds influenced song, with sweet harmonies and Belinda on lead vocals for the first time.

Strawberry Wine

Royal Trux were Neil Hagerty and Jennifer Herrema, a couple who made earthy, growly, noisy indie rock 'n' roll in the 90s. When they separated in 2001 Jennifer went her own way and for a while made records as RTX. Cheap Wine Time is a distorted, rough and ready, nicotine stained song with guitar solos that sound like they lost their way in the early 70s and eventually wound up in Jennifer's flat, drinking in the daytime. Warning- it starts suddenly.

Cheap Wine Time

The photograph at the top shows our son Isaac, in a French supermarche a few years ago, stocking up on vino. Longer term readers may remember that Isaac was born with a genetic disease, a life limiting illness that affects him in many ways, physically and mentally. He spent his early years in hospital and in many ways we are lucky he is still with us. Today he turns 20 and tonight glasses will be raised in his direction. No wine for Isaac though- he is strictly a milk or blackcurrant cordial kind of man. Happy birthday Isaac.

12 comments:

Walter said...

Happy birthday Isaac. I'll raise my glass to you later this day. And a great selection of songs, Adam.

drew said...

Happy Birthday Isaac, I will raise a glass to you later but was out last night so I think it may be milk and blackcurrant for me too!

The Swede said...

I too will be raising a glass to Isaac when I get home this evening - happy birthday! A bit of a spectacular selection of tunes here SA.

Charity Chic said...

Happy birthday Isaac - I will raise a glass of something stronger than milk or blackcurrent cordial.
Some red,red wine perhaps

Dirk said...

Yes, happy birthday, Isaac! Ah, well, the drinking, yeah, you convinced me: me too when I get home!

TheRobster said...

Penblwydd Hapus Isaac. As a fellow teetotaller, I raise a glass of blackcurrent hi-juice to you my man!

Jake Sniper said...

Happy birthday Isaacs, I will raise a glass of something tasty this evening in your honour.

Brian said...

After all of these years at the bagging area, Isaac feels like an old friend. My best to your son on this special day.

C said...

Excellent theme and songs - especially Summer Wine, a favourite. And many happy returns to Isaac.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday young man
I've stuck the kettle on in your honour.
KT.

dubrobots said...

Belated happy birthday to Isaac, and a toast to his folks (it's not blackcurrant cordial, I'm afraid)

Iechyd da!

Adam Turner said...

Thanks very much everyone. He's had a blast. I am currently partway through a bottle of Cotes Du Rhone.