Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 14 June 2024

Twenty One

Eliza, our daughter, is twenty one today. We had the party last weekend at a venue in Altrincham because today she is at the Gottwood festival in Anglesey. Coincidentally Sean Johnston is playing Gottwood, doing A Love From Outer Space, the travelling cosmic disco he and Andrew Weatherall started in 2010. I've told Eliza she must attend ALFOS as part of her birthday celebrations, a cross generational handing on of the torch or something. A couple of her friends asked what ALFOS is. '110 BPM chuggy cosmic disco', I told them, which they seemed to find quite amusing in a 'what's the old man on about?' kind of way. 

A few weeks ago Eliza told me I had to do a speech at her twenty first. I gave it some thought and then, capitalising on her love of Mancunian poetry I decided to do it based on Mike Garry's St Anthony: An Ode To Anthony H. Wilson. Eliza loves Mancunian poetry, Mike Garry's poem and also Tony Walsh's This Is The Place. Despite Eliza's concerns that my poem would be 'cringe' I wrote and read it out anyway, an A- to Z of Eliza set to Mike Garry's structure, cadence and style. Apologies to Mike.

It finished, as Mike's does, with 'Talk to me of all these things and there's one thing that's for certain/ That I'll see the face and I'll hear the voice of Eliza Ramona Turner'. Not a dry eye in the house. Including mine. 

St. Anthony: An Ode To Tony Wilson (Andrew Weatherall Remix)

When she was born a nurse looked at her in her cot as travelled in a lift up to the next floor in Wythenshawe hospital. Eliza was wide awake and looking round. The nurse said to us, 'that is the most alert baby I have ever seen'. And that's kind of how she's been ever since. 

Happy birthday Eliza. You've been through more than any twenty one should have to in recent years and have come through it with your love of life intact. Enjoy Gottwood, enjoy ALFOS. Sean, if she turns up wrecked and harangues you endlessly, please accept my apologies. I don't know where she gets it from. 

13 comments:

C said...

A very happy birthday to Eliza! I can see her magic just from the (lovely) photos. A credit to you too.

Echo and Rauschen said...

Congratulations to Eliza and also to the parents. Love comes back where it went before. Moving moments and reasons to love life. Thx Adam for sharing these wonderful personal moments again!

Rol said...

Happy birthday, Eliza.

Webbie - FootieAndMusic said...

Nice

Anonymous said...

Absolutely lovely stuff my daughter turned 21 in March and the wonderful human loved by everyone that meets her that she has grown into is a source of huge pride! She’s taking me out for brunch tomorrow as she is at a gig on Sunday! Big love pal x

Anonymous said...

It’s dickie by the way x

blureu said...

nice!

Alistair said...

Hope she has the happiest of birthdays xx

mr_h said...

Lovely, Adam! HBD, Eliza! Dance, smile and enjoy. You should do ALFOS, as I (we - my Brother and I) should return to Todmorden. Jah love from abroad 🖤⚔️🖤

Ernie Goggins said...

Many happy returns Eliza

Khayem said...

Happy birthday, Eliza! I don’t need to wish you a good one, looking at what’s lined up, it’s already guaranteed.

And well done, dad. Not just a post celebrating your amazing daughter but a celebration of all that’s good about humanity and life in general. Have a good one yourself, sir!

Swiss Adam said...

Thanks everyone- she's got very little internet reception in Anglesey so probably hasn't read any of this but sh'es having a great time. Thanks for all your birthday wishes.

Martin said...

Lovely stuff. Many happy returns, Eliza. Don't know about the rest of your poem but you nailed the closing lines. Nice.