Fleetwood Mac. Since some time in the 00s, or the 90s maybe, there have been lots of prompts and suggestions that we should be listening to Fleetwood Mac. Their 70s albums- Rumours, Tusk- are routinely held up as works of genius now, a revisionist view of the wisdom that I grew up with, a post punk and indie rejection of their psychodrama, cocaine California soft rock. The monthly heritage rock magazines have been all over Fleetwood Mac-their lengthy career and story is ideal for their format. More recently their 1987 album Tango In The Night has crossed over, winning the hearts and minds of both a younger generation, who seem to be all over the songs. back in 1987 Tango In The Night was the opposite of what I wanted to hear although I know there's a strong Balearic thread running through it and I'm sure songs from it were spun in Alfredo's sets in Ibiza.
For a long time I have stood my ground. Fleetwood Mac- I'd rather jack. On occasion I'd relent and see if they could do anything for me and approaching YouTube with an open mind I'd hit play on Dreams or Go Your Own Way or see if Rhiannon or Don't Stop did anything for me. And every time, they just didn't. A while ago channel surfing after a glass or two or red wine I happened upon a live concert from 1982, and it was OK, the crowd were definitely into it and it had an energy and a vibe but also it didn't send me rushing to the Fleetwood Mac back catalogue.
It turns out on earching through my files and folders that I have this, a Psychemagik extended disco/ house/ Balearic edit of Everywhere. It is a 2020s synth update that I can imagine could work very well in the correct circumstances. I'm not sure I'd be the man to drop it in a DJing environment but I probably would play their edit of This Must Be The Place by Talking Heads that they paired it with on the release.
Everywhere (Psychemagik Remix)
I have however developed a soft spot for Stevie Nicks' Edge Of Seventeen. I can't explain it- I think it's the guitar riff (which I realised Beyonce borrowed for Bootylicious). This is a Mojo Filter edit of the song...
Edge Of Seventeen (Mojo Filter Edit)
Stevie wrote it for her uncle who was dying of cancer and for John Lennon, shot the same week her uncle died. The title came from a conversation with Tom Petty's wife Jane who said she and her husband met at 'the age of seventeen' but her southern accent made age sound like edge.
The only other Stevie Nicks song I have is this one by Calexico from 2003, a song which mentions her name in the title which is bleakly beautiful and rather bereft. The man in the song drives off a cliff and not even she, the priestess, the voice of Stevie Nicks on the radio, not even that could save him.

No comments:
Post a Comment