Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Wednesday 13 January 2010

Fad Gadget 'Back To Nature'


This was the first single by Fad Gadget (Frank Tovey), released by Mute in 1979. It's an amazing record- synths, found sounds, drum machines, vocals. The lyrics are disturbing; ''Back to nature- bodies burning in the sun, Back to nature-just like lemmings everyone'', but Fad and his lover will be alright ''under the geodesic dome'', ''sitting in the shade of the rubber tree, I'll kiss you and you kiss me''. Wait for that final stretched out ''and you'll .....kiss me'' towards the end. Tension and release. I've no idea really what it's about. It always makes me think of a post-apocalypse love-song (happy happy joy joy), but that could just be me. Whatever it's about it's utterly great- groundbreaking, synth-laden, doomy pop.

01 Back To Nature.wma

No comments: