Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Monday 15 October 2018

Monday's Long Song


Monday's long song this week comes from The Woodentops and an unreleased version of their song Give It Time, a single and album track in 1986 but constructed and mixed by Arthur Baker in '85. Clocking in at 7 minutes 34 it's not actually that long I suppose but most of Rolo's songs were around the 3 minute mark, rapid strumming and double time percussion making everything feel pretty quick. This one takes things more gently, Baker finding the space and a slower tempo. Those acoustic guitars are still there and some extended percussive sections. Lovely stuff from a band with a back catalogue full of the same.

Give It Time (Arthur Baker Mix)

People often lament The Woodentops failure to 'make it'. Rolo said the following at his Facebook page recently in response to a comment that they deserved to have been more successful...

'Back then I could not have been more busy. So many people before my eyes, insane huge crowds and banging indoor venues. More planes than trains and endless miles, the pressure was intense and I lost it many a time. I wasn't always a happiness machine. Usually but not always. I never actually began a band with the intention of being in the charts, I wanted to do something and just hoped some people might enjoy as much as I. All the ambition was directed at trying to get the band tight and convincing like the music I listen too. I wanted to add something to the sound of the town. So when it got to risking your life literally, to get to a tv station on the other side of Europe in continuous heavy rain in the fast lane, I noted that moment. Death by self promotion! Also by not being part of any scene, coming up with totally different ideas for more songs that intentionally didn't sound like ones we already had, we are hard to promote so we never would be a typical chart act. We fell into them for a bit sure. Mainly though it was international alternative charts which I would prefer to be in. I know we have songs out there that have influenced or been included in new musical movements, excerpts in films and tv, mentions in books and all sorts. David Bowie bought all the records we made and loved them and told me so. So I feel success came our way. I'm a happy chappy and alive. So I'm saying it's cool if we didn't or haven't headlined Wembley stadium. We play too fast for there anyway. You wouldn't be able to hear a thing'.

All of which made me smile.


2 comments:

The Swede said...

A new version on me. Can't say I'm a massive Arthur Baker fan, but this one works pretty well.

Brian said...

Well, well, well, this was a pleasant surprise. This is one of my favorite songs from the band, but I have never heard this mix. Makes my day.