Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 4 October 2018

Heartbreak


More new stuff. Unloved, a threepiece made up of David Holmes, singer Jade Vincent and Keefus Cianca, inspired by the 60s girl groups, Jack Nitzsche and Hollywood's darker soundtracks, have signed to Heavenly and have a new song out. Their first album, Guilty Of Love released back in 2016, had a great sound and some good songs. This doesn't sound like a massive departure from that record, a bit denser and more fractured possibly.



I sometimes find that the internet has shorted my listening window for new releases. Things get posted online, I play them repeatedly for a few days until something else bright and shiny grabs my attention. When it finally gets a proper release it seems like the time has almost gone. I don't think it's the same as the concentration span issue the internet has created but the sheer wealth of stuff out there and the access to it. In the 80s and 90s you might hear a new release on the radio, tape it if you were really prepared. The cycle has changed. Not sure of it's better or worse but it's definitely different.

3 comments:

drew said...

The album was one that I expected to reach for a lot more than I actually have done. The concept, the collaborators, the 60s feel, I should have loved it but apart from a couple of tracks it was all a bit beige. This is really good tho and should be released as a dinked 7" single.

Walter said...

This is a good songs and the sound makes me want to investigate more of them. And I agree to you - times are faster and the releases are much more than in the old times where the radio made a pre-selection of the releases. It is the same to me: Finding great stuff in the internet it might soon be forgotten by the next great stuff.

Swiss Adam said...

I agree Drew, some of the songs just blurred into each other.