Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Tuesday 21 June 2022

Acid Solstice

I found an old mp3 player recently- not even an iPod but one produced by Creative- and wondered if it still worked. Charged it up, had a poke around inside the folders to see what was on it and then put it in the car to accompany my commute. It's a bit clunky but works fine, stays charged for a good while and will even let me delete files and add new songs. Driving on Saturday afternoon with Eliza in the car with me, this song came on and as the kick drum banged away, the juddering bassline came in and then the layers of acid/ techno wonkiness piled up increasingly filling the car with the sparse fullness of the song and then that stentorian vocal faded in, 'acid funk/ acid funk/ acid funk...' and the snare rattled like a rock on a metal roof, Eliza said, 'well, this is intense'. And I could only reply, 'Yes. It is'. 

Acid Funk (Scott Hardkiss Mix)

It's also ridiculously funky, absorbing, next level stuff from the Hardkiss family back in 1996. Hawke and God Within with Scott Hardkiss on remix duties. I imagine it could still cause mayhem at a club if dropped at the right time and for the right crowd. It came on again driving home last night, the sun beating down on the M60, and it sounded just as good, building and building, ever increasingly, yes, intense. If you want something to add a little edge to your morning routine, to get you moving as you make your tea/ coffee or get your packed lunch together, stick Acid Funk on for a few minutes. 

It's the summer solstice too, something to celebrate or at least to note. The longest day is always a little double edged- summer's only just arrived and in calendar terms we've already peaked. But happy solstice, if that's your thing. 

9 comments:

Tom W said...

Is it a Creative Zen? I've still got one, it never stopped working but the software did. What did you get it up and running with?

Adam Turner said...

Yes Tom, a Creative Zen. I just found the cable and plugged it into the USB port in my PC. Don't recall it coming with any software so I'm guessing it loaded itself onto my PC the first time I used them together (which would be 2016 or thereabouts).

jesseblack said...

Adam, do you have all 5 Live at Room Zero sets from 2011? Scott was always a hero of mine, but those sets -- about 14 hours maybe? -- are not just his best work but to me the greatest DJ sets ever recorded. You can't get anything but 1&2 online but let me know if you don't have them and I'll WT the whole collection. They are unbelieveable, the very best.

Swiss Adam said...

I do't think I have them Jesse, if you cans end them that'd be great

The Swede said...

I found two old MP3 players from the mid-noughties when I moved 18 months ago. Unfortunately the one charging cradle I located didn't work, so I've been unable to fire them up as yet. I wonder what obscurities are hiding in wait?

jesseblack said...

For anyone who wants them, here are the Room Zero Brooklyn sets. The last big work of his life, as far as I know, and for my money the best thing he ever did and the best DJ set ever. Immerse yourself in them, you won't regret it.

https://we.tl/t-fFS0tZLgwF

Swiss Adam said...

Thanks Jesse.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jesse. Are there tracklist for these anywhere?

jesseblack said...

I got them from Laura (https://soundcloud.com/dancerinthdark) and I think the site I found her on - a message board I can no longer find - had the tracklists. She may be able to help. For my part I almost don't want to know, I like thinking of it as a big 14 hour whole. :-)