Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 9 September 2022

To A Popular Tune

I was watching another of Guy Garvey's From The Vaults series the other day while doing the ironing. From The Vaults is on Sky Arts on the Freeview channels, a series compiling clips and performances from the wealth of material the UK's independent TV channels- Granada, Tyne Tees etc- amassed in the 70s and 80s, some unseen since broadcast. It is amazing to see what bands were willing to do to plug their latest single- Prefab Sprout miming at Alton Towers, trying to balance while standing and playing When Love Breaks Down on hydraulic platforms sticks in the mind. 

As well as doing episodes based on specific years the producers have started to put together some themed episodes, an electronic music one and a Britpop one. As I was ironing I didn't feel the need to be paying 100% attention or to be too challenged so I stuck the Britpop one on. Several things struck me. How long ago the mid 90s look on TV now for one- it was three decades ago so that's to be expected but it looks like it too. The fact it's all filmed on tape not digitally makes it look dated and everyone, roughly the same age as me, looks so young and fresh faced. There are some very mid 90s clothes too. Second, there were some bands who struck lucky during that period, signed big deals with major labels, got some press behind them, had huge amounts of money thrown at them but sounded very much like the kind of band you hear in pubs. Thirdly, out of all the acts shown Suede took the crown by some distance with a performance of their debut single The Drowners

The Drowners

The Drowners is a blast, thumping drums with a dirty, loose, gritty, string bending Bernard Butler guitar riff and Brett singing about illicit sex and being taken over.

I kind of missed out on Suede at the time. I read the music press every week so was well aware of them but my head and tastes were not in that area at all in 1992, I just wasn't tuning into grimy, glam inspired indie at that point. I did like and buy Animal Nitrate in 1993 and then loved Trash in 1996 but my Suede collection is pretty small, a few singles and a Best Of CD. 


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even excusing my marital bias. I'd certainly recommend the recent crop of Suede albums. And the new one released next week sounds incredible.

The Lighthouse Mancunian said...

Oops that was me not signed in!

Swiss Adam said...

I assumed it was you- having 2 friends who read the blog, comment on it and have Suede mad wives seemed a coincidence too far.

Martin said...

Remember going to see Suede quite early, in Brighton, not long after the release of the first album, I think. Was an exciting gig.

C said...

I too was late to Suede, just wrong place wrong time for me, but it all fell into place just ten or so years ago and I've tried to make up for it ever since. I also watched that episode of From The Vaults and felt the same about that performance, glorious. Envious of you too, Martin, must have been really special to see them so early on.

JC said...

I was reasonably lucky. Didn't see the now legendary gig at King Tut's in late 92, but was at the (now demolished) Plaza in Glasgow in April 93 when they toured the debut album. It was some night.......

jesseblack said...

All the early singles and most of the besides were great, right through Stay Together. 6-7 classics buried on cd singles, and then two albums full of filler. Weird. But man Bernard could make a racket then. Metal Mickey still sounds enormous.