Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Wednesday 7 September 2022

Forever

The grief that we've been feeling since Isaac died at the end of November last year has been all consuming but it also has been shifting a little as the months have passed. Sometimes now it's an ever present but lower level thing, a heaviness or a dull ache, which is liveable with and different from the sheer, raw, physical pain it was back in the spring. There were days back then when functioning was an act of survival. Now it- the grief, the loss- underpins everything but isn't at front all the time. It comes back with a vengeance sometimes, with a force that can leave me feeling like I've been winded and as if I actually have to catch my breath for a moment. One unexpected trigger or thought can be overwhelming. Occasionally recently I've been in meetings or at events and I catch myself wondering what I'm doing there when everything has changed beyond recognition for us. But I suppose the truth is that the world does go on and the sun still comes up and normality (whatever that is) does have to be restored. We can go out, we can talk and laugh and enjoy things, step outside the grief I guess, but it comes back, ebbing in, almost tidal in the way it moves. I have some further bereavement counselling starting soon which I think will help. We have a daunting autumn ahead. In late November it will be Isaac's birthday and then a week later the first anniversary of his death. Both of them loom over us. The speed at which time has passed and is passing is disconcerting too, as each month ticks by the further away in time he is. We don't know yet what we're gong to do to mark his birthday and the anniversary of his death- I don't think any of us are looking forward to it. Nearer the time we'll work it out. 

We haven't got a gravestone arranged yet either which remains a thing which has to be done but without a deadline. There's something about a stone which is so permanent. The planter and potted flowers that have been marking his grave are ever changing. We've been visiting weekly, more than that sometimes, tidying up and staying for a while. It helps, it keeps him close to us, but it's hard too and it brings the enormity of it flooding back in sometimes. In some ways though, that flood of grief and tears is a good thing, a reminder that while we can attempt to get something of our normal, lives back, he will always be there even though he physically isn't. 

I'm back at work this week. I went back to work in January after Isaac died on reduced hours, only going in to teach my classes. I had a late start some days and left early every day due to my timetable. I had none of my wider whole school responsibilities and this worked I think, helped me establish a routine (even if there were times when I wondered what the fuck I was doing being back at work and dealing with some of the stuff a busy secondary school chucks at you). My classes were all exam classes, GCSE or A level, and I felt I should be there for them. In the summer it was agreed that I would step down from my whole school role and return to be head of department, a much smaller role, lower down the hierarchy (and with the pay cut to go with it). This was much chewed over back in June, caused me a lot of thought, but I think I've made the right decision. But, being back now, full time in a new role, watching other people doing my old role, is taking some getting used to. Being back full time is also another sign of things going back to 'normal' (whatever that is- I'm not sure things will ever be normal again). Being 'back to normal' is another sign that things change, everything moves on and in some ways it doesn't feel right to move on. There's something to talk over and attempt to resolve there. 

These things come together sometimes in a way which is neat and tidy and coincidental. In 1970 The Beach Boys released an album, Sunflower- yesterday's post was a pair of sunflower pictures and a pair of sunflower songs. The Beach Boys' Sunflower was recorded when they were out of fashion, massively out of step with the rock sounds of 1970, post- Woodstock and post- Altamont. They were in massive debt and Brian was at his most erratic and reclusive. It is probably their best post- Pet Sounds album. Two of the songs slipped into my consciousness recently, suggested subliminally maybe by the sunflowers. One of them then hit me good and proper.

Forever was written by Dennis Wilson, a two minutes forty two seconds song of devotion, a ballad and in the words of his brother Brian, 'a rock n roll prayer'. 'Let the love I have for you/ Live in your heart/ And beat forever' they boys sing, harmonies ascending and soaring. The song floats away with the lines, 'So I'm goin' away/ But not forever/ I gotta love you anyway/ Forever'. 

Forever

12 comments:

thewalker said...

There is anchor in the way you share this with us, you are such a good soul, and eloquent with it.

TheRobster said...

The hurt, the pain, the sadness and the anger (because yes, anger certainly comes with it all) does fade, it really does. You should never feel guilty about that. I lost may dad 39 years ago and my mum 31 years ago - both taken in their prime, with loads more to give and live for. While they don't come into my thoughts every day anymore, there are plenty of times I do think about them, and it's always with love, warmth and usually happiness.

My daughters were born long after they passed, and I often think about them as grandparents, particularly last month when TheMadster got married. Dad would be nearly 90 now, mum well into her 80s, but I'd like to think they would have been there, full of pride and enjoying the party. They both loved a good party.

You'll never forget Isaac, and there will be times when remembering him will be tinged with some sadness, but trust me when I say you will get to the stage when you mainly have happy thoughts and memories without the pain, however long it takes.

C said...

SA, you write so eloquently and beautifully on such a sad and difficult subject, and we are privileged to read it. I also imagine your honest expression of your grief journey could also be incredibly helpful to others going through similar circumstances.

The Swede said...

The clarity and eloquence of your writing in such awful circumstances is truly remarkable. Sending love.

Anonymous said...

What a beautifully expressed bit of writing. I still can't imagine how you're even starting to cope but I'm so glad to see that the grief is changing, even if it isn't going away. As for the work stuff, I bet in the longer term you'll feel even more confident you made the right decision, which can't have been easy in itself. Thanks from me for your continued and always enlightening posts.

Rickyotter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rickyotter said...

Very moving post Adam, the first anniversaries come round so soon it almost frightens you, but once navigated, and you will, subsequent times will become easier, but with Isaac still at the heart of your thoughts. We strive to, or cannot comprehend, 'getting back to normal', but there is no such thing. We navigate our ways through cool, calm and pleasant waters and unimaginable storms and currents, but we're constantly recalibrating, to factor in our learnings, our pain. Thanks for continuing to share your thoughts and feelings with us, I hope it brings you some peace

Swiss Adam said...

Thank you all of you who comment on here when I write about Isaac. It means a lot and you all say so much.

mr_h said...

Since I don't have my daughter close to me, I oftenly have the same feelings of lost, and wandering by mistake. Our entire existence is odd... I also don't know what 'normal' is or should be. What I know is that our feelings are those that describe us. Jah love from abroad, dear Adam! 🖤

Martin said...

I cannot imagine how you feel. I only know that it is humbling to read. There's a quiet dignity in the honesty of what you share, and I really hope it helps to get these feelings down on (virtual) paper. Keep on keeping on, Adam, and be well.

londonlee said...

As everyone has already said, that was very moving and beautiful writing

Khayem said...

I always find your writing and your capacity to openly share your experience of loss and learning to live with grief extremely humbling and emotional. I can't begin to imagine what it's truly like but I don't think I'd have either the words or strength that you have shown with each post.

The choice of music and photos is equally stirring and this was no exception. It's a privilege to follow your story, Adam, and it's uplifting to read the expressions of love and support that come from the far expanses of the blogosphere. Thank you.