Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 2 September 2022

Got The Wind In My Face

A scheduling error meant this post is ten hours late in being posted. An internal review has identified human error as the significant factor. I have had a stern word with myself. 

An album I've only recently gotten into even though I've been meaning to for years and one I know that is a favourite among bloggers (and ex- bloggers) who frequent this corner of the internet. I bought a copy of John Martyn's Solid Air (on CD, second hand) and played it late one night early on in August when I was alone in the house and it worked its spell on me. Recorded in late 1972 and released in February 1973 it has a small hours feel, Martyn's voice close to the mic, his guitar playing not far away, Danny Thompson's upright bass further back in the mix but adding a lot. There are moments where the influence Martyn's guitar playing had on Vini Reilly leapt out at me, the Echoplex on I'd Rather Be The Devil being the most obvious example. It works best as a full piece, the songs taking in folk, jazz, blues and early 70s space rock while at the same time having a weirdly timeless feel. 

I was going to post the title track, Martyn's song for Nick Drake but listening to the album again I thought I'd go for this one, Richard Thompson and Simon Nicol of Fairport Convention on mandolin and autoharp, and John Martyn's song written as he came home early one morning after a night on the tiles, and saw his house appear from behind the hill, 'nothing in my favour/ Got the wind in my face/ I'm going home/ Over the hill'. 

Over The Hill

No comments: