Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Monday 31 May 2010

Johnny Boy 'You Are the Generation That Bought More Shoes And You Get What You Deserve'


7" single from Liverpool's Johnny Boy, from 2003. The album was a bit mixed and didn't set the world on fire, but this is excellent stuff, from it's opening (not Shangri La's, I've been corrected) Ronette's drum beat, to the deadpan vocals and shimmering guitars. Produced by James Dean Bradfield of Manic Street Preachers as well, which you wouldn't necessarily guess given it's lack of histrionics and squeeling guitars. It was also, I think, the Single Of The Month in the last edition of the much missed Jockey Slut magazine.

If you ask Mrs Swiss I am the generation who bought more shoes, so I guess I got what I deserved. A mountain of shoes spilling out from under our bed for one thing...

01 You Are the Generation That Bought More Shoes and You Get What You Dese.wma

2 comments:

drew said...

Fucking magic single, only surpassed by their first, Johnny Boy Theme, the album on the other hand was a disappointment. This will certainly be played extremely loud a week come Saturday.

Sorry to be a pedant but it's a Ronettes drum beat courtesy of Hal Blaine.

I also fit into the buying too many shoes catagory.

Swiss Adam said...

Pedantry ahoy. Takes one to know one.

Hope Sunday goes well. Wish I culd make it.