Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Tuesday 3 March 2020

I Just Can't Help Believing


A song from 2004 that lives on through music blogs, popping up every now and then. Johnny Boy were a male/female duo from Liverpool. Their 7" single You Are The Generation Who Bought More Shoes And You Get What You Deserve comes in like a 21st century Phil Spector, a shimmer of piano, guitars, bells and sound effects over those crashing, overloaded drums, The Ronettes had they come from Bootle rather than NYC, and singer Lolly's vocals. James Dean Bradfield is on production duties- the other half of Johnny Boy was Davo who was the Manic's guitar tech.

You Are The Generation Who Bought More Shoes And You Get What You Deserve

A critique of consumerism, drug abuse and entitlism as far as I can see.

'Burberry Beamer beakheads
Leaving Adidas sleek mystique reversed
Without a dream or scream between 'em
Believing time does reimburse


So for all we are receiving
There's an evens key to turn
You was the generation that bought more shoes and you get what you deserve'

6 comments:

Tom W said...

Love that song. But came here to thank whoever it was in the comments that recommended Two Lone Swordsmen's Get Out Of My Kingdom, which I've barely stopped listening to since last week. They also serve who only comment on long-running music blogs.

Dirk said...

Suppose that was me, Tom. So: cheers!

And you're right, this is a mighty tune indeed!

Brian said...

Never tire of this one.

Swiss Adam said...

Was going to say, that'll be Dirk.

drew said...

I love this song so much, I have 3 copies of the 7" just in case.

Tom W said...

Thanks Dirk! And I think I got the Johnny Boy track via Drew, so also thanks Drew