Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Wednesday 4 September 2024

Back To Nature

We spent a night camping at the end of last week. We haven't camped since before Covid and part of me felt like I didn't want to think my camping days were over. We borrowed a smaller tent than the giant three pod, family tent we have (which is in a poor state of repair too) and headed out for Sherwood Forest. This was partly because we wanted to see Isaac's tree, the oak sapling we planted in MPS Remembrance Wood at Sherwood Pines two years ago- it's a four to five hour round trip in a day so staying overnight made sense, the weather was lovely and the campsite looked good. Isaac's oak tree has for the first time started to peak above the protective cone. 

As soon as the tent was up I realised how much I've missed camping and while this summer may be over I'm now sure that weather permitting we'll be camping more often and for longer next summer. Last Thursday night we sat outside our tent with a bottle of red wine watching the sky turn from blue to black, the stars appear in the heavens above us and it felt good. Earlier on we had a look round the campsite- among all the motor homes there were a number of glamping pods and a single camping pod that looked like this...

'A geodesic dome for camping in', I muttered to myself, and as soon as the words 'geodesic dome' left my mouth I was singing this 1980 Fad Gadget single, stunning turn of the 80s apocalyptic synth pop, one of those records that creates its own world and inhabits it. 

Back To Nature

We walked into the pines in the early evening, the sunlight breaking through in shafts, the umbrella pines creating a canopy way above us, a strange warm silence settling over the woods broken only by birds and the odd mountain biker. 

On Twitter Khayem suggested Back To Nature should be followed by Faze Action's Into The Trees (and I agreed) but I don't have it as an mp3 at the moment and this has a virtually identical title- from Moon Duo's 2010 debut Escape...

In The Trees

2 comments:

Martin said...

You can't beat a tent and something nice to drink under a fine later summer evening sky. Tunes are good too.

Swiss Adam said...

You really can't beat it