Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Monday 2 September 2024

Monday's Long Song

Back in work today after the summer holiday and, oh, is it painful. There's got to be a better way of making a living than working. 

One of the albums I listened to during a long- ish drive recently was DFA Compilation #2, a triple CD from November 2004 crammed full of early 21st century dance- punk from James Murphy's stable. The opening track on CD 1 is by Black Leotard Front...

Casual Friday

'Do you wanna wear the overcoat?', is the opening line. After that follows fifteen minutes of DFA dance- punk brilliance, relentless four four drums, synth squiggles, Shaft guitar, a chant of 'Bonjour/ Bonjour/ Bonjour/ Bonjour/ Comment allez vous', punk funk bass, and eventually the voices getting to the lyrical heart of the matter, 'I put on my overcoat/ It's written across my chest/ You love me you must confess/ You passed the test'. 

Black Leotard Front were Delia Gonzales, Christian Holstad and Gavin R. Russom. I guess once they got the groove started on Casual Friday there didn't seem much point in stopping it, the electro- indie/ disco just kept going on and on, the lyrics kept flowing, the drop out in the seventh minute invited an extended hand drum re- entry, more wigged out synths and a further seven minutes of fun. 'I was leaving the office/ I took off my dress/ I put my overcoat/ To surprise you in the flesh/ It's written all over my chest/ You love me you must confess/ You passed the test'. 

I like the idea of the DFA offices having casual Friday. After a long working week making electro- indie and dance- punk, all buttoned up in suit and tie, dress down Friday must have been a relief and an ideal way to meet the weekend.  

3 comments:

Nick L said...

Sounds very interesting and I'll be checking it out later.
Re going back to work, it never gets any easier does it? I'm now lucky enough to be in a position where I will be changing to working 3 days a week in my current college and starting a vintage/preworn clothing business on the other couple of days. It's potentially a major shift in work/life balance and a career change, and I can't wait for it to start.

twopalmtrees said...

Oooh! That has a propulsive groove. Kinda didn't want it to end.

Swiss Adam said...

That sounds exciting NickL, hope it goes well.