Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 14 October 2021

Green

We were walking in Trafford Park last weekend (the world's first industrial park and still the largest in Europe fact fans!). On the side wall of an enormous grain refinery were these patches of green paint, a cover up job for some graffiti. The green on green (not matching in the slightest really), the drips  running down the wall and random block shapes, plus the incorporation of brickwork and the fire hydrant sign really caught my eye- this is art isn't it? Accidental art or ambient art or industrial art maybe. I could see them being printed up as postcards or onto t- shirts, canvasses and tote bags.





We haven't had any Four Tet here for a while so here's a gorgeous piece of green ambient- turning- into- electronica to go with the photos, a track from last year's 16 Oceans album. Nature sounds, washes of found sounds and then one of those skittering melodies he's so good at, music that shimmers and dances about.


One of my friends I play football with has a son who's just left university and spent the summer doing what twenty one years old should- holidays, dossing about, going to festivals. He played football with us too, filling in when sundry middle aged men couldn't make it due to commitments or injury or old age. He came back from one festival Lost Village, a festival that looks like its run and organised as festivals should be- smallish, low key, leftfield artists, mix of ages, funny stages and tents hidden in forests and woods. I asked him who he'd seen and whether he'd caught Daniel Avery (who I knew was playing there). He had and also said he'd seen someone called Four Tet headlining in the tent- the clips he showed me on his phone looked amazing, a chilled but enthusiastic crowd and Kieron Hebden raising the roof. I've just discovered his set, all two hours of it is on Soundcloud here and Youtube here.



3 comments:

C said...

Absolutely art. Something about those particular hues working together as well as the shapes - on first seeing them on my screen I simply assumed they were from an exhibition of paintings!
Four Tet's Green works for me too. Yes, really works with the pics.

Rol said...

Like C, if you'd told me they came from a gallery, I'd have believed you.

I like them more for being natural though, especially for the care taken by the painter.

Anonymous said...

Yes great Adam, keep pushing the art, and 'Bagging Area Apparel' why not?
- SRC