Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 24 June 2010

World Of Twist 'Lose My Way'


World Of Twist were the oddballs of the Manchester scene, with their 60s beat and Northern Soul influences and mod clothing. When Juke Box Jury was revived briefly in the late 80s/early 90s Bernard Sumner reviewed them by saying 'They're a bit 'we are weird, but they're from Manchester so I'll give them the thumbs up'. They had a wonderful stage show, including MC Shells giant clam keyboard stand and those rotating signs they used to have outside newsagents. Early single The Storm had beat-psyche backing rather than the funky drummer, and Stones cover She's A Rainbow showed an updated whimsical psychedelic edge. In 1991 they released their stone cold classic, Sons Of The Stage, with it's acid house-northern soul stylings and celebration of the dancefloor, club and gig. The whole song is like riding a wave, a genius pop single. So it was surprising that the Quality Street album was a bit underwhelming, flat production, all a bit same sounding, too quiet and too few dynamic moments. But Quality Street opened with this song, Lose My Way, their other great moment. Starting with trumpet, then driving drums and a 60s beat-pop lyric and vocal, it never fails to bring a smile to my face. Singer Tony Ogden died in 2006 aged 44. RIP Tony.

01 Lose My Way.wma

2 comments:

drew said...

Anybody who get's photographed on step-through's can't be any good!

I've got something on 7" but for the life of me I couldn't tell you what it is or what it sounds like. I think I bought it on the strength of the Face article on the second wave of the baggy/hypechester bands.

What ever happened to Eusebio i never find myself thinking.

Swiss Adam said...

Put your scooter prejudice aside Drew, this top stuff