Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Sunday 2 September 2018

Just What Is It That You Want To Do?


Sunday always seems like a good day for dub. This was shared with me the other day via the wonders of social media and I then shared it again so some of you may have heard this already but for those of you that haven't it's a bit of a treat, Loaded done dub stylee.



Thus far we haven't been able to discover who did this but what I know is this- it dates from the first decade of the 21st century; is a bootleg; and is a delightful re-working of Primal Scream/Andrew Weatherall's Loaded. Enjoy.

In other Primal Scream news, next month will see the release of their 1993 album Give Out But Don't Give Up. Not the version that was released in 1994, the 'dance traitors' album, but the version they recorded in Memphis with the Muscle Shoals rhythm section of David Hood and Roger Hawkins and producer Tom Dowd. At the time the group (and Alan McGee) were worried that the tapes weren't contemporary enough, not rawk enough and were too polite, so they shelved them. The songs were buffed up and re-recorded and added to by George Drakoulis with more guitars and more sheen. The original tapes were more country, more blues, more gospel. I've not heard much apart from some brief clips on their Twitter account but it sounds intriguing enough. There are multiple versions and formats available to pre-order here. It's a shame that Throb, whose guitar will be all over these songs, isn't around to enjoy the release of the songs as originally recorded.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m not sure about this SA. Not as bad as the travesty of a cover version of Just Like Honey that I heard yesterday or Friday early on in the afternoon from the main stage. Don’t know who they were but they ensured that I will never knowingly listen to them again. Bloody awful it was and put me in a foul mood for about 20 minutes..

Quite looking forward to this Scream release. That’s a statement I have not made in quite a number of years.

Michael Doherty said...

That's wonderful news, I do really like Give Out... but something more along the stoned delight of the Dixie-Narco EP would haves been even better. As Anon above says great to look forward to a PS release again. Beautiful dub of Loaded too!

Swiss Adam said...

'Bloody awful it was and put me in a foul mood for about 20 minutes..' this isn't anon, this is Drew.

Anonymous said...

Yip, the iPad doesn’t remember my login for blogger and neither do I. How did you guess by the way?