Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 18 October 2018

Memories Of The Night Before


Once or twice a month when I've amassed bits and bobs in mp3 form from various blogs (most to be found int he links to the right) I burn them onto cd, mainly to soundtrack my journey to and from work for a few days. Hence my car is full of cds with titles like 'Oct 2016 comp' or '07/18'. I used to write out tracklists but that happens less soften now so sometimes I pull out a homemade various artists cd and stick it in and see what happens. Last week I was struck by how brilliant a Soft Cell song sounded- this didn't come as a surprise and it won't surprise some of you either, I'm sure most of the bloggers who read this will have posted some Soft Cell at some point, but they just caught me and slapped me round the face a bit. The song in question was the 12" mix of Say Hello, Wave Goodbye, a hit from 1982. That's been posted somewhere else recently though so I'm going with this one instead, from 1981 which is just as brilliant, just as innovative- just listen to those synths for proof- and just as evocative of a life lived in bedsitland.

Bedsitter (12" mix)

5 comments:

The Swede said...

The 12" of 'Say Hello, Wave Goodbye' is a work of genius and this ain't too shabby either.

Martin said...

Brilliant, but beware possible ear-worm contamination, as per http://newamusements.blogspot.com/2018/03/brexitland.html

Echorich said...

Bedsitter 12" is absolutely one of the greatest 12" remixes ever. It isn't that it is a reconstruction of, IMO, Soft Cell's greatest song, but it is a well thought out extended mix that should be the standard for that approach.

The 12" remix of Say Hello, Wave Goodbye brilliant because of the audacity of Dave and Marc to introduce orchestral elements, both traditional and synthetic to an already grand kiss off song. Dave Tofani's clarinet takes the song yet another step away from what Marc's lyrics are focused on, and creates even more tension once the vocals kick in.

Brian said...

The 12" of Say Hello, Wave Goodbye is the top of the heap, and the band's best song. Period. Having said that, they knew their way around a 12" and I enjoy them all.

Adam Turner said...

I've been hearing Brexitland in my head all day.