Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Wednesday 30 October 2019

Declaration Of Dub


The fourteen tracks that make up King Tubby's 1975 album Dub From The Roots came as some kind of epiphany to me back in the 90s. Spread across two sides of vinyl the album showcases Tubby's skills and prowess at the mixing desk. The whole album is swamped in reverb and delay, a wash of sound effects with the bass riding on top or underneath). Drums and percussion bounce around, flourishes of organ and guitar drop in and out. Rimshots ricochet between the speakers. Backing vocals get pushed up front briefly. Timeless, outer space music.

Declaration Of Dub

4 comments:

drew said...

I don't think that I have ever heard a bad or even mediocre King Tubby dub.

markd said...

One of the all time greats along with Jah Shaka, Prince Far I's Cry Tuff Dub Encounter series and the lesser known "Allied Dub Selection" by Scientist and Papa Tads. Could list dozens more obviously.

Rob said...

Please do: it’s always a great treat to get recommendations

Swiss Adam said...

I can definitely second the Prince Far I Cry Tuff series.