Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 11 October 2019

Focus Your Attention On A Spot


Today's post accidentally fits in really well with David Byrne's ideas about finding vocals and using them in new musical places (see yesterday's My Life In the Bush Of Ghosts post). A while ago someone somewhere, sorry I can't remember who, posted two Orbital tracks both released in 1990, one the B-side to Chime and the other a remix of that B- side from the Omen 12". Deeper and 2 Deep take the voice from a relaxation tape, designed to help people who were unable to relax or get to sleep, calm down and chill the fuck out. A warm, calming voice appropriated by the Hartnoll brothers and laid over some techno. Knowing, ironic, a bit trippy. 'Close your eyes and relax...'

2 Deep

I put both versions onto a compilation CD along with other similar stuff and found that they sounded really good driving to and from work. Thankfully they didn't cause me to relax so much that I fell asleep at the wheel. That would not have been relaxing.

Also from 1990 and in the same ballpark is this from Ed Ball's Love Corporation- sparkling, inventive acid house with a vocal found on a New Age, meditation tape, remixed by the King of Shoom Danny Rampling. 'Close your eyes and begin to breathe slowly and deeply...'

Palatial (Danny Rampling Remix)

'Revel in this sleep and I will return in a minute'

4 comments:

Alewx G said...

That someone might have been me. I meant it to tease a planned witty account of my experience with hypnotherapy, but I still haven't actually got around to writing that. Or anything else.

Swiss Adam said...

Yep, I think it was. Thanks for providing the starting point in my thought process.

Ursula 1000 said...

I think you'll dig this mix. Has Palatial on it plus other chill dreamy house bits. https://soundcloud.com/the-dream-chimney/mix-of-the-week-294-ursula-1000-chill-dream-house-mix

Swiss Adam said...

Thanks Ursula 1000, looks good.