Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Sunday 28 February 2010

The Orb 'Little Fluffy Clouds' (Seven Inch Mk I)


It's funny how, for a type of music so suited to the long form (12" records, mix tapes, 4 hour dj sets, tracks regularly running over 10 minutes ) the acid house/club culture/dance music scene 20 years ago produced some storming 7" records. Maybe it was the punk/post punk influence, making music that worked for 3 minutes 30 seconds. This is a great example, the 7" mix of Little Fluffy Clouds. This is my favourite version- it's perfect, no need to extend it, just Rickie Lee Jones' ramblings over those synths and samples on 7 inches of black vinyl.

Other examples off the top of my head? Sub Sub 'Ain't No Love Ain't No Use', MARRS 'Pump Up The Volume', S'Express 'Theme', The Beloved 'It's Alright Now' (incidentally if anyone has the 7" mix of this one as an mp3 I'd love a copy). There must be others. I know there were/are loads of tunes, less poppy chart oriented ones probably, that needed extending out over the 12", but the 7" dance single seems like a great part of pop culture.

I shared a house with a friend for two years who was a big Orb fan, so it wasn't until we moved out that I realised I'd hardly bought anything by them, just used to listen to his, and I still have Orb shaped gaps in my record collection to this day. Must do something about that.

Little Fluffy Clouds (Seven Inch Mk I).mp3

5 comments:

Arthit said...

Other notable 7" singles in the same era would be A Guy Called Gerald "Voodoo Ray", Humanoid "Stakker Humanoid" and Starlight "Numero Uno". Cheers.

swiss adam said...

Yeah, Voodoo Ray, forgot about that. Ride On Time too.

Ctelblog said...

And yet The Blue Room only works in its 40 min single form.

Oh and add "No Limits" obv!

swiss adam said...

Mmmm, No Limits. An obvious contender.

Anto said...

harcore uproar by the band from Leeds who took to manny yokes